Saturday 19 August 2017

Calming Giant Red Rock Meditation - Red Rock Coulee, Alberta, Canada

red rock coulee
One of the most unique landscapes in Southern Alberta, this place looks exactly how it appears in the video; very austere, expansive and a bit unnerving.

I ran into some production issues while making this, hence why it's a slide show and not a long take video. It is VERY windy there. Always. The wind caused the camera to shake and vibrate and no amount of stabilization through my video editing would get rid of it. Thankfully I took a bunch of pics with my phone when I was there! Anyways, here's the video.



I set this slide show to Moby's LA6; I felt that it matched the feeling of the place. And as a quick side note, it's a part of his Long Ambients1 album (which I'm sure I'll use again). He's given this away for free and you can download the entire recording from his website here - Moby - Long Ambients1. It's awesome and you should.

A little more about this place. Many of the rocks are wearing down and they slide apart in perfect layers.

giant red rocks

And they're really, really BIG! My son, who's in this pic, is over 6 feet tall. I included this grainy image so you can get a perspective on the size of these things.

giant round rocks

The rocks are buried in what I'd describe as a clay like material. When it rains it washes away and leaves the harder red rocks. Just think, in a couple hundred years, this rock may be completely exposed like the one above.


A little about this place. There is literally nothing here but wide open prairie, large red rocks in various stages of weathering, a picnic table and this sign. There isn't even a port-a-potty so plan wisely, people.


(Yes, you are in rattle snake country. I never encountered one there myself, but have seen a dead one on the highway in the general area. But that was years ago...)

If you decide to take the trip out to see this area for yourself, be sure to bring everything you need including water, food, toilet paper, extra clothing (it's either windy and hot or windy and cold), etc. It's a little off the beaten path but you can get out there in about an hour if you are starting in Medicine Hat. There's not a lot to do but walk around and look at the rocks and get some good photo opps (just think of the instagram photos!) but sometimes you just are looking for something to do in a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment